Have a happy Easter with our CBD Hot Cross Buns
The chocolate eggs have filled the shelves, the lamb is chilling in the fridge with the mint sauce waiting close by. Easter is here!
We would never deny the awesomeness of chocolate, but let’s not forget the other seasonal food favourite – hot cross buns!
This sweet and savoury treat is the perfect way to bring in the day, and we’ve taken it one step further. Hot cross buns with a CANNAVIST twist…
- 500g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 75g caster sugar
- 2 tsp mixed spice powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest only
- 10g salt
- 10g fast-action dried yeast
- 40g butter
- 300ml milk
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 200g sultanas
- 50g finely chopped mixed candied peel
- 2 pipettes of Natural Strains Organic CBD Oil Drops 10ml 10%
- oil, for greasing
For the topping
- 75g plain flour
- 2 tbsp golden syrup, for glazing
1. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, spices and lemon zest and mix. Once combined, add the salt and yeast to opposite sides of the bowl.
2. On medium heat, place the butter in a pan and melt. In a separate pan, warm the pan. Pour in the melted butter and half of the tepid milk to the dry ingredients. Add the egg and CBD oil, and use your hands to bring the mixture together, incorporating the flour from the edges of the bowl as you go. Gradually pour in the remaining milk, to form a soft pliable dough (you may not need all of the milk).
3. Lightly flour your work surface and tip out the dough. Knead by hand, incorporating the sultanas and mixed peel into the dough. Once combined, lightly kneed for 10 minutes until the dough forms a silky, elastic, smooth ball. (The kneading can be done in a food mixer with a dough hook if you have one.) Oil a bowl and place the dough in a bowl, cover it with cling film and leave to rest in a warm place for around 1 and a half hours, or until the dough has doubled in size.
4. Turn the risen dough out on to a lightly floured surface. Knock back and knead for a further 5 minutes. Return to the bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place to rise for a further hour, or until doubled in size.
5. Turn the dough out again on to a floured surface and divide into 12 equal pieces, shaping each of these into a ball. Line 1-2 baking trays with paper and place the balls on the tray, placing them fairly close together and flattening them slightly.
6. Slip each baking tray into a large clean polythene bag, making sure the bag doesn’t touch the buns. Leave for 40-60 minutes until the buns have doubled in size.
7. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7.
8. For the topping, add the flour to a bowl with 100ml/3½fl oz water. Mix together to make a paste and spoon into the icing bag.
9. When the buns have risen remove the polythene bags and pipe a cross on each bun. Bake for 15-20 minutes until pale golden-brown, turning the baking trays round halfway through if necessary.
10. Melt the golden syrup in a pan and while the buns are still warm, brush the buns with a little syrup to give a nice shine, before setting aside to cool on a wire rack.
If our CBD hot cross buns settled your post-chocolate binge, hop on over to our social media channels and let us know. Make sure to tag us so we can marvel at your delicious creations; @cannavistmag.
Still in the mood for a nibble? Head to The CANNAVIST Cooking Theatre to check out our other CBD-infused drinks and treats.