There is nothing quite like the smell of home-baked goods.
The delicious aromas moving from room to room while your new treat bakes in the oven… We’re getting peckish just thinking about it.
Cinnamon rolls are a popular part of Scandinavian and North American sweet cuisine. In our part of the world, they can often be found in the bakery section of convenience stores and supermarkets.
This cinnamon-flavoured treat can be enjoyed for breakfast, as a pudding or just a snack to brighten up your day.
May 17 is World Baking Day. This day has been designed to spread the joy of baking all around the world.
From helping nana in the kitchen on a Sunday morning to creating a sweet masterpiece to celebrate a birthday, there is so much happiness that comes with baking.
To celebrate World Baking Day, we gave this Swedish classic a CANNAVIST CBD twist. Check out our easy-to-follow recipe for cinnamon rolls below.
For the cinnamon roll dough
- 100g unsalted butter
- 200ml milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 250g plain or wholemeal plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 250g strong white flour
- 1½ tsp fast-action yeast
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- Olive oil, for greasing
- 4 pipettes of Icon CBD Premium CBD Oil
For the filling and topping
- 75g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
1. Add the butter, milk and salt into a small saucepan and heat until the butter has melted. Take off the heat and allow to cool until lukewarm.
2. Place the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir until combined. Make a well in the centre, and crack in the eggs. Then pour in the milk mixture and CBD Oil and stir until they form a sticky dough.
You may need to use your hands when the dough becomes stiffer to make sure the mixture has combined.
3. Using a teaspoon of olive oil, oil the work surface. Turn the dough onto the work surface. Knead the dough vigorously for 5 – 8 minutes, using a plastic scraper when needed to remove the dough from the oiled work surface. Knead the dough until it is less sticky, smoother, and more elastic.
4. Grease a large bowl, shape the dough into a ball, and place into the bowl. Cover the bowl, and set aside in a warm place to prove for an hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
5. Meanwhile, for the filling and topping, mix the softened butter in a bowl with half the sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. Use a fork to mix the sugar and spice into the butter until it is completely combined. Mix the remaining sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl and set aside.
6. Once cleaned, flour your work surface. Once the dough has risen, turn out onto the floured surface. Gently roll it out to a 36x24cm rectangle. With a palette knife, spread the cinnamon-sugar butter evenly across the dough.
From the longest edge closest to you, roll the dough up into a cylinder. Then cut the dough into 12 even slices.
7. Grease a muffin tin and place each slice into the tin. Cover once again and set aside for a final proof. This should be for 30-45 minutes, or until risen.
8. Pre-heat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
9. In a bowl, beat an egg. Brush the tops of the buns with the egg and sprinkle over cinnamon sugar. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes until the buns are dark golden-brown.
10. Serve the cinnamon rolls and enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.
Be sure to tag us in your CBD baked goods posts on social media (@cannavistmag) and we might even share the best ones.